Following a series of public hearings, the Landmarks Preservation Commission recently agreed to add 11 historic buildings in Midtown East to the list of New York City Landmarks. Here’s a look at the buildings that were added.
Minnie E. Young House
Located at 19 East 54th Street, the Minnie E Young House was built in 1899-1900 by the prominent architectural firm of Hiss & Weekes. The house is representative of the period when the area around Fifth Avenue in East Midtown was a prestigious residential enclave.
Martin Erdmann Residence
Located at 57 East 57th Street, the Martin Erdmann Residence http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/lpc/downloads/pdf/announcements/57-59 East 55th St Martin Erdmann FINAL_160509.pdf is an English Renaiisance Revival style town house that was build in 1908-1909. Designed by the architectural firm Taylor & Levi, the house is an excellent example of homes that reflect the upper class tastes and preferences of wealthy families in the early 1900s.
18 East 41st Street Building
Built from 1912-1914, the 18 East 41st Street Building is an early neo-Gothic Skyscraper located between Fifth and Madison Avenues in Manhattan. As an early work of noted New York City architects George and Edward Blum, it is thought to be the firm’s first commercial commission.
Hampton Shops Building
Located on the south side of East 50th Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues, the Hampton Shops Building was constructed in 1915-16 when East Midtown Manhattan was first becoming a major commercial district.
Yale Club of New York
A handsome Renaissance Revival-style skyscraper located at the northwest corner of Vanderbilt Avenue and East 44th Street, the Yale Club of New York was designed to harmonize with the Beaux-Arts style train station that it adjoins. The building was constructed from 1913-1915.
Pershing Square Building
Situated directly across 42nd Street from Grand Central Terminal at Park Avenue, Pershing Square Building http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/announcements/PERSHING%20SQUARE%20BUILDING%20FINAL_160509.pdf played an important role in the development of the city’s mass transit system.
The Graybar Building
Constructed from 1925-1927, the Graybar Building was one of the last to be erected in “Terminal City,” which is an East Midtown development located above the railroad tracks that are owned by New York Central Railroad.
400 Madison Avenue Building
Constructed during a time of substantial commercial development in East Midtown, 400 Madison Avenue Building represents the early evolution of skyscraper design.
One of the first skyscraper residential hotels to be built in the city, the Shelton Hotel played an important role in the development of the city’s skyscrapers. The hotel was designed by architect Arthur Loomis Harmon and was constructed from 1922-1923.
Constructed from 1926-1927 and located at the northeast corner of Lexington Avenue and East 50th Street, the Beverly Hotel was built as part of a redevelopment of a section of East Midtown following the opening of Grand Central Terminal.
Located at the southeast corner of Lexington Avenue and East 48th Street, Hotel Lexington was constructed from 1928-1929 as part of the redevelopment of a section of East Midtown following the opening of Grand Central Terminal